Best Practice 1:
Promotion of Quality Education and Research
Promotion of research is very important for the development of any country. Knowledge creation is as important as knowledge transfer in any higher educational institute. This could be achieved, only by enabling the researchers focus on their core research work with a support system and helping them to gain the necessary funding, to obtain the required facilities and dedicate adequate time for their research activities. Therefore, promotion of research is a need of the time. The College initiates research activities through the following strategies:
- The institution encourages faculty members to pursue research and presents their findings in National and International Conferences/Seminars/Workshops/Symposiums.
- To publish quality research articles in UGC listed and Peer reviewed journals .
- To organize seminars/conferences/workshops on the themes of local/regional/national/international importance.
- To motivate the faculty to pursue their Ph.D. and further research and apply for the major/minor research projects to UGC, ICSSR, DST,CST.
- To publish quality academic, research and edited books.
- To promote teachers for research guidance to create a number of research scholars.
- To motivate the teachers to supervise the P.G. Students for completing their dissertation.
- To establish linkages and collaborations with other institutions/industries and universities for research.
- To provide seed money and incentives to the teachers and research scholars for research activities.
The institution has a Research Advisory Committee and Academic Research Coordinator for promoting research culture among the staff and students of the campus. Faculty members are encouraged to participate and present their research papers in National and International Conferences/Seminars/Workshops/Symposiums for which the college provides TA/DA and duty leave. Faculty members are motivated to apply for research grants to different funding agencies. It provides seed money and incentives to the faculty for research activities. The College provides computing and internet facility, e-journals, INFLIBNET, DELNET etc. for research scholars and teachers. It organizes Seminars/Conferences/Workshops on various research themes. The College provides a Study Leave Facility for the teachers pursuing their Ph. D degree. It has prepared a code of ethics in research. The college has established linkages and MoUs with Institutes/Industries for research and training etc.
Evidence of Success:
The College has observed successful outcomes in research in the last few years after the implementation of the promotion of research as the best practice. The achievement in the field of research is the main indicator of excellence in research accomplished at the College.
The College has research centers for Ph.D. in the following subjects- Botany, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Zoology, Geography, Hindi, Political Science, Sanskrit and Psychology. 20 faculty members are recognized research guides/supervisors in various subjects and 10 research scholars have been awarded Ph.D. degree in 2015-16 under their guidance. The College teachers have published 23 research papers in the journals notified by UGC/peer reviewed, 13 research papers in conferences/workshops/symposiums, 05 books/chapters in books under various publications and 22 seminars have been attended. The College provides financial support to teachers for attending and presenting their research work in conferences/seminars/workshops. The College extends financial support to the faculty for attending Seminars/Conferences/Workshops etc.
Best Practice 2:
Following objectives are laid by the college:
- To endorse understanding of environmental issues amid students, staff and society.
- To attain quality of life among all the stakeholders.
- To achieve healthier sustainability of the campus.
- The campus is abode of rare, medicinal/herbal plants.
- Renewable energy source and solar streetlights are designed to work throughout the night.
- Seminars and lectures are organized on various environmental issues.
The main objective of the practice is to have clean and green environment and to develop concern, regarding environmental issues and challenges.
The college regularly organizes seminars, conferences and lectures by resource persons on environmental issues. A global problem behind screen is that the local environmental change has global effect.
Environmental awareness is also spread through rallies and posters throughout city and villages.
The sign boards are displayed throughout for plastic free campus.
The college also emphasizes to reduce noise pollution inside and outside the campus with sign boards declaring it as an offence with penalty. Smoking is completely forbidden in the campus.
The college has banned the burning of waste in the campus.
Department of Zoology has developed vermicompost units in the campus to create solid waste management and it is used in our garden to avoid chemicals.
Environment friendly electrical vehicles and bicycles are promoted to save biodegradable fuel and have pollution free environment (and appreciation certificate is given to them).
Periodically, trees are planted that add greenery to the campus, moreover, trees are considered as lungs of this planet.
Rain water harvesting is also done. Waste water is also used for gardening. Hive boxes are placed for the effective pollination of flowering plant.
Other Best Practices:
To save electricity, LED bulbs are used. It is insured that fans and electric bulbs are switched off when they are not in use. Solar Street lights are installed at the roadside on the campus.
Problem Encountered and resources required :
A long term assurance and efforts are required from all stake holders.
Finance is also an important factor for the maintenance and continuation of these practices.